Monday 9 January 2017

Solar Auxilia - The Final Push - Malcador Infernus WIP

Hey all,


So much the same with my mechanicum I don't have a lot left to do with my Solar Auxilia to complete them as an army. In fact between the two armies I only have 4 units to paint! However that 4 units includes 3 super heavies! I have yet to complete the build on the Imperial Knight for my mechanicum, but the Stormblade and Malcador Infernus have been primed and ready to go for some time, and over the weekend I managed to get the most laborious part of the Malcador finished - the red basecoat.


This is laborious because its achieved through a layer of bloodletter glaze followed by a layer of carrobourg crimson on top. Being as thin as they are, they respond very much to gravity, so each surface of the tank that needs the red has to be balanced flat for the glaze and allowed to completely dry before I add the crimson wash and allowed to completely dry, thus stopping pooling towards the bottom of the panels. 

Lots of flipping the tank and leaving it alone, sometimes quite precariously balanced with blue tack support! Anyway, now this stage is done, when I have the time I should be able to (relatively) motor through the other base coats and finish it off. Then just the Stormblade to do which I am dreading!

Peace out,

Rob

9 comments:

  1. It looks great Rob, and I must say I've been curious as to how you achieved the colour on these guys for some time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very guilty of promising how-to guides and not delivering :( I am hoping with my new set up and lights to do some videos, but always more and more projects on the go... starting a bloody podcast soon with a mate!

      Delete
    2. Tell me about it!
      After a slow start though I must I've enjoyed the commission painting, especially since Naf sent over some examples of what he'd done so I could compare them to the original.

      Now I just need some more to sort out the debt problem!

      Delete
  2. Coming along nicely - always been very jealous of your Auxilia, they look great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I really appreciate that :) they are my favourite army in terms of paint job and I do like to show them off. Can't wait to field them fully complete.

      Delete
  3. That effort does pay off, looking at your latest Tank.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) as said above, I am rather proud of this army, if only the competition at golden demon level would come down to my level :P

      Delete
  4. Ahhh, the old blutac support method :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Supporting my whole life since putting misfits posters up as a kid ;)

      Delete