Friday 4 December 2015

Blog Recommendation - St Andrews Wargaming

Hi Folks,



Similar to other fellow bloggers I'd like to shout out some good blogs that I follow and enjoy reading each week when their juicy content appears in my notifications. Instead of giving you a list of bloggers I thought I would dedicate a post to each blogger with a few of my favourite articles from their sites. 

Today I'm going to start with Mike at St Andrews Wargaming! Mike and I started our blogs at almost the same time being only a few days apart, and it has been great to see his content explode with loads and loads of interesting and varied things cropping up on his feed. Its also been nice to have a brother in arms finding their way through the sometimes odd world of blogging and sating the hobby appetites of the many!

I also got to meet Mike, amongst some other bloggers who will be covered in this segment, at Blog Wars X at the beginning of November. I really enjoy putting faces to names and vice versa so it was good to have a proper chinwag and see his Ravenwing in top form as he reached Table 1 in the tournament.

Below are a few posts from his blog that I particularly like with a description about why you should too!

Medusa IV Campaign

The Medusa IV Campaign something that Mike has designed and is running for his local club. It involves a tiled map with starting territories for each player, with players grouped into factions. The players can assault other armies or tiles in phases and this determines who battles who on the tabletop with the winners and losers each having corresponding effects on the tiled map.

You can tell just how much effort has been put into this being designed and run and it looks absolutely fantastic. I wish I was able to play in it! Thoroughly recommend you give it a read, it is very reminiscent of an older way of doing 40k.


Zone Mortalis Board

Mike is an avid terrain collector with an eagle eyed eBay fixation for the older cardboard 40k terrain, I believe he almost all of them now! But the post I really wanted to pick out is his home made Zone Mortalis Board. I've put just one picture below but you have to go through all of them to see how awesome it is, especially when you consider the cost of buying an equivalent sized board!



Painting camo on Tanks

In amongst his vast armies lies a big old bulk of the Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum which you can see below. As you can see the armies looks great, but what stands out for me in particular is the quality of the camo on the tanks and valkyrie. Fortunately for us, Mike put together an excellent tutorial on how he achieves this, and it is a fantastically clever time saving and simple technique that I intend to make full use of at some point on tanks as well! Here's a link to the guide.



Battle Reports

I can't really pick one out here as he has done so many. But the style of battle reports you will find on this blog would have fit perfectly into the old white dwarfs we know and love. The diagrams have unit keys, blast markers, arrows to indicate  movement, they have the lot. The level of detail Mike can write down in shorthand is impressive and I have witnessed it first hand, this comes through in his reports which never skip and beat and are always great to read! No link for this one, just head over there and find all of them!


Next Time...

I hope you enjoyed this little segment of going through someone else's blog. There are lots of blogs I have in a list that I intend to do this sort of post with, to really give you a glimpse of the flavour of other people in the hobby that pour their blood sweat and tears into their models and their blogs which is worthy of attention.

Let me know if this worked for you, or you'd rather a put up a post with a link to various blogs together. I've enjoyed going through blogs to find all the posts that really stuck in my mind so I'm keen to continue in that vein but if people don't like then I shan't :)

Peace out,

Rob

12 comments:

  1. I've got to say I think this format is great, really gives a flavour of each blog and what the author is about that a few lines and a link can't convey!

    Looking forward to seeing what else you read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoy it, I've got quite a few others worked out for later this month and into the new year :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the shout out Rob!

    I agree with Nick, I really like the format. It's interesting to see what other people find interesting on the blog. Can't wait for the others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thoroughly deserved mate, you are some of my essential reading :)

      Delete
  3. +1 st Andrews wargaming has some excellent battle reports with some cool old school WD style maps.
    Always a good read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it makes me hark for the good old days of white dwarf!

      Delete
  4. Yeah I like this way of doing it, works well :)

    St Andrews is a cracking blog. Played against him at BW 9 too :) was a corker of a game

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent sense of humour too and just masses of armies!

      Delete
  5. One of the first blogs I added to my reading list when I started up. He does some great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same for me, I feel I have a pretty good reading list with cracking blogs and people to boot :)

      Delete
  6. Yeah, Mike is a really top bloke. Ha I g met him a couple of times this year his blogs are an authentic representation of what he is really like - funny, thoughtfull and tactically on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome stuff! Whereabouts do you hail from Mr Slayer (couldn't resist calling you mr slayer :P)

      Delete